In 1896, the first addressing machine received a U.S. patent. The paten was issued to Joseph Smith Duncan of Sioux City, Iowa. It was the development of the invention that has created the Addressograph in 1892. Joseph¿s earlier model consisted of a hexagonal shape wood block which he glued rubber type after he had removed rubber from the stamps. While the block is revolving, it simultaneously inked the charters for the next impression. Named "Baby O", the first addressograph was put into production on the July 26, 1893 in a small back room of the old Caxton Building in Chicago, Illinois.
Addressograph International was the original company which manufactured the Addressograph. In 1932 it merged with American Multigraph of Cleveland, Ohio to form the Addressograph-Multigraph Corporation. The Addressograph Multigraph Corporation manufactures highly efficient addressograph and duplicating machines. In 1978 the Addressograph Multigraph corporate headquarters moved from Cleveland, Ohio to Los Angeles, California. In 1979 the corporation changed its name to AM International. In 1982, the AM international filed for bankruptcy under Chapter 11. An addressograph machine of the 1960's was made of a steel frame with an integrated keyboard for stamping out address plates, a cassette-style plate feeder, a heavy-duty, rapidly moving inked ribbon, a platen for hand-feeding the mail piece, and a foot pedal for stamping the address. The individual steel address plates were inserted into card-sized frames which had a series of slots along the top where colored metal flags could also be inserted for sorting purposes. The plate assemblies were placed in steel cassettes resembling library card catalogue drawers, which were manually inserted into the machine. At the press of the foot pedal the plate assemblies were swapped in sequence in a similar fashion to a slide projector, placing an impression of the raised type onto the mail piece.